Re: Trouble installing MariaDB 5.5 on Ubuntu 12.04 (& 12.10)

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 12:05:22 -0500
Aaron Anderson <anderson.aaron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Aaron> Gang,
Aaron>
Aaron> I've installed MariaDB on several Debian/Ubuntu systems in the
Aaron> past few months, without any issues.
Aaron>
Aaron> ~2 days ago on an Unbuntu 12.10 system did an apt-get
Aaron> update/upgrade/dist-upgrade. I believe that MariaDB was updated
Aaron> in that process. After the updates, mysql was "gone" My apps
Aaron> couldn't find it, it wasn't running, etc. I was in a hurry so I
Aaron> had to fall back to the standard mysql package so not a lot of
Aaron> into there.
Aaron>
Aaron> I built a new Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server, added the Maria repo, did
Aaron> an apt-get update/ugprade/dist-upgrade. Rebooted.
Aaron>
Aaron>
Aaron> Here's some output... I'm stuck in this loop.

<snip>

The issue is that Ubuntu recently updated its MySQL packages to 5.5.29.
This is messing up dependency resolution and apt-get is giving up.

Here's an apt-get line that should allow you to install MariaDB (split
into multiple lines for the email):

apt-get install mariadb-server-5.5 mariadb-client-5.5 \
  mariadb-server-core-5.5 mariadb-common mariadb-server \
  libmariadbclient18 libdbd-mysql-perl mariadb-client-core-5.5 \
  libmysqlclient18=5.5.28-mariadb-a1~precise \
  mysql-common=5.5.28-mariadb-a1~precise

For the last two packages I'm just specifying the MariaDB version of
the two packages that are causing the installation problems. You might
not need to specify all of the packages I specify above, but it was
easier to do so than to guess at which specific packages to list.

An "apt-get dist-upgrade" will cause problems with the above (it'll try
to upgrade libmysqlclient18 and mysql-common) but this will let you get
up and running until MariaDB 5.5.29 is released.

Thanks.

--
Daniel Bartholomew
  Google+ - http://gplus.to/dbart

MariaDB: An Enhanced Drop-in Replacement for MySQL
        Website - http://mariadb.org
        Twitter - http://twitter.com/mariadb
        Google+ - http://google.com/+mariadb
       Facebook - http://fb.com/MariaDB.dbms