MariaDB 5.5.29, 5.3.12, 5.2.14, 5.1.67 now available

The MariaDB project is pleased to announce the immediate availability
of the following new MariaDB versions: 5.5.29, 5.3.12, 5.2.14, & 5.1.67

Appologies in advance for the length of this email but we'd rather send
out just one combined announce email instead of an email for each of
these releases.

- - Links  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

MariaDB 5.5.29 Stable (GA)
 - Release Notes: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-5529-release-notes
 - Changelog: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-5529-changelog
 - Downloads: https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/5.5.29

MariaDB 5.3.12 Stable (GA)
 - Release Notes: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-5312-release-notes
 - Changelog: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-5312-changelog
 - Downloads: https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/5.3.12

MariaDB 5.2.14 Stable (GA)
 - Release Notes: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-5214-release-notes
 - Changelog: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-5214-changelog
 - Downloads: https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/5.2.14

MariaDB 5.1.67 Stable (GA)
 - Release Notes: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-5167-release-notes
 - Changelog: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-5167-changelog
 - Downloads: https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/5.1.67

- - Other Links  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  APT and YUM Repository Configuration Generator:
      https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/

  Overview of MariaDB 5.5: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/what-is-mariadb-55
  Overview of MariaDB 5.3: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/what-is-mariadb-53
  Overview of MariaDB 5.2: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/what-is-mariadb-52
  Overview of MariaDB 5.1: https://kb.askmonty.org/en/what-is-mariadb-51

- - Security Updates - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

These releases are "bug fix" releases and they include, among other
things, fixes for the following security vulnerabilities:

 - A buffer overflow that can cause a server crash or arbitrary code
   execution (a variant of CVE-2012-5611)
   http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2012-5611

 - CVE-2012-5627/MDEV-3915 fast password brute-forcing using the
   "change user" command
   http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2012-5627
   https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-3915

 - CVE-2012-5615/MDEV-3909 information leakage about existing user
   accounts via the protocol handshake
   http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2012-5615
   https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-3909

 - fixes for DoS attacks - crashes and server lockups
   https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-4029
   https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-729

These releases of MariaDB also include all applicable upstream security
fixes from MySQL, such as fix for a CVE-2012-5612/MDEV-3908 and other
crashes.
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2012-5612
https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-3908

- - New Packages - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

MariaDB 5.5.29 includes packages for Fedora 18 "Spherical Cow" and
Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal". Visit the Repository Configurator to
generate the necessary commands to easily install MariaDB on these and
many other distributions.

We've also extended the repository configuration tool to provide
instructions for distributions which include MariaDB. We've started with
Mageia and will be adding others soon.

https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/

- - Discontinued Builds  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Along with the news of new package builds is the news that some old
distributions will be deprecated. The MariaDB project tries to support
as many different operating systems and Linux distributions as
possible. However, when a distribution or OS stops receiving upstream
security and other updates it becomes difficult to provide packages for
that platform. In such cases, our policy is to deprecate that platform
and stop building binary packages for it in our build system.

As of 1 Feb 2013, we will stop building and testing packages for the
following:

 - Fedora 16 "Verne"
 - Debian 5 "Lenny"
 - Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick"
 - Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty"

Even after your chosen Linux distribution is deprecated, packages and
support are still available. Companies such as SkySQL and Monty Program
(among others) provide paid support for all versions of MariaDB and back
to even very old MySQL versions. This includes packaged binaries.

More information on our deprecation policy can be found at:
https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-deprecation-policy/

- - Archived Releases  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

From the beginning of the MariaDB project in 2009 we've kept all of our
old releases online via our network of mirrors. Doing this is great for
those few who are interested in old releases, but the disk space
required to host all of our old releases is over 130 Gigabytes at
present and grows by several gigabytes with each new release. This is
too much for some of our mirrors to handle. So, starting with this
round of releases our primary mirror will only host the most recent
few releases in each series (5.5, 10.0, 5.3, and so on). Mirrors are, of
course, free to keep archiving every release, but the primary mirror
that they pull from will not.

Old releases do have value, so for those that are interested in old
releases, we are setting up a simple, no frills, archive server which
will host them. Once the server is up and running, links to archived
releases on https://downloads.mariadb.org will point at the archive
server. During the transition period, links to some old releases may
disappear for a short time, but don't worry, they haven't been deleted,
they're just being moved!

If you have hundreds of spare gigabytes on a fast connection and would
also like to host the complete MariaDB archive, contact us at mirror
at mariadb.org and we'll include a link your mirror from our archive
server. (see https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mirroring-mariadb/ for more
information about becoming a mirror)

- - User Feedback plugin - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

MariaDB includes a User Feedback plugin. This plugin is disabled by
default. If enabled, it submits basic, completely anonymous MariaDB
usage information. This information is used by the developers to track
trends in MariaDB usage to better guide development efforts.

If you would like to help make MariaDB better, please add "feedback=ON"
to your my.cnf (my.ini on Windows) file!

See http://kb.askmonty.org/en/user-feedback-plugin for more information.

- - Quality - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The project always strives for quality, but in reality, nothing is
perfect. Please take time to report any issues you encounter at:

  http://mariadb.org/jira

- - Support MariaDB - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you would like to contribute to MariaDB, please see our
"contributing" and "donations" pages. We also have merchandise
available in a cafepress store.

 - https://kb.askmonty.org/en/contributing

 - https://mariadb.org/en/donate/

 - http://www.cafepress.com/mariadb

We hope you enjoy MariaDB!

--
MariaDB: An Enhanced Drop-in Replacement for MySQL
        Website - http://mariadb.org