Files under /etc/my.cnf.d/ read by default

Hi guys,

while we were packaging MariaDB into Fedora (finally) we used the upstream's cnf files structure, which means /etc/my.cnf, that includes all files from directory /etc/my.cnf.d/* using statement !includedir.

That works fine when user installs (not updates) the MariaDB packages without having them installed before. The problem is if user has changed /etc/my.cnf before updating -- then /etc/my.cnf doesn't get updated (!includedir won't be added) and we end with files under /etc/my.cnf.d/* but nothing what includes them. That is quite confusing for users that may change something in /etc/my.cnf.d/client.cnf but nothing happens.

Since files under /etc/my.cnf.d/* are empty by default it shouldn't do any harm if all files corresponding with /etc/my.cnf.d/*.cnf template get loaded even without !includedir in /etc/my.cnf. Actually I believe that is what users expect to happen when they see files under /etc/my.cnf.d..

So, that's basically what I'm proposing -- read files under /etc/my.cnf.d/* by default, without a need to use !includedir. What do you think?

Regards,
Honza

Follow ups