Re: Benchmark with jemalloc

Am 18.09.2013 19:22, schrieb Roberto Spadim:
> hum about static libs...
> a default binary version with static libs are ok to me

a binary yes
a source build should *never* default to static linking

>... if anyone need a more "dynamic" we could compiler a second binary version

as said the binary packages does not matter
distribution ones does
98 out of 100 users get their binaries from them

upstream binaries are linked statically because you
never know about a major upgrade of whatever distribution
which would need a rebuild while break the binary for others

> static is very easier to report bugs, we just know what is running and don't need to ask users about it
> today when i install mariadb i use the binary package, i'm not using rpm deb or others packages... when possible i
> have the binary and a copy of source package with a compiled binary (to make sure i can change if something happen,
> or a important patch appear)

in theory yes

practically not really because you depend on enough dynamic libraries linking other libraries dynamic
that you can only catch specific things with static linking but never make regressions impossible

in case of cross-dependencies you may even hit a bug *because* you linked whatever statically
and one of the dynamic libraries doe snot work properly with it while the distribution ships
a patch for this siutuation not visible for you *because* of the static linking

defaulting to static/bundeled libraries only makes the life of distributions harder

they work around it, the ordinary user does not compile from source and the userbase
which does has enough expierience to verify the results