Re: New Question: MariaDB Galera Cluster Questions

On 2014-01-03 21:50, AskMonty KB wrote:
Hello,

A new question has been asked in "MariaDB FAQ" by pranava:
--------------------------------
I have some questions on Maria DB Galera Cluster.

Q1) If I partition a table in a schema which is part of MariaDB Galera
Cluster, can i configure partitions in such a way that a one partition
resides in one Node, another partition resides in second Node and so
on? I'm trying to shard the data and use Galera cluster nodes to
accommodate parts of that shard.

No, it is a design assumption that every node holds all the data, so all nodes are identical.

Q2) Scenario - During replication of MariaDB Galera Cluster, the
Master node gets a request, it processes it and then sends to other
nodes for approval, followed by a commit at every node. What if commit
happens on majority of nodes except one or two? What happens to that
transaction and how about Data consistency among all nodes?

A deterministic certification algorithm is used to determine whether transaction must be committed or not. So all nodes are guaranteed to decide identically. If a node decides that transaction should be (applied and) committed but for some reason can't do it, it assumes data inconsistency and aborts.

Q3) Which protocol is used for communicating between nodes during data
replication in MariaDB Galera Cluster? Is it TCP or a Broadcast to all
other nodes or Some customized protocol between nodes that enables
replication in the cluster.

It is a proprietary group communication protocol on top of TCP or UDP multicast.

Regards,
Alex

Thanks a lot in advance.

Thanks