Does ADD/DROP INDEX update the InnoDB buffer pool?

Hi all,

When adding or dropping a primary and/or secondary index is the InnoDB
buffer pool updated too? Is the pool changed in place or will the LRU
algo just evict to make room? In the second case buffers of other tables
on the server might be affected too and the server would run with a more
or less cold buffer pool.

We have to fiddle with indices on production servers, which by itself is
a precarious matter. So I tried to find out how ADD/DROP INDEX
operations affect the memory/buffer pool of our servers. Since I wasn't
able (or too stupid) to find something about this topic it would be
great if someone could help me out and point me in the right direction.

BTW: Version is MariaDB 5.5

Cheers,

Shorty

Follow ups