Re: InnoDB selected projects

Jan,

I think "InnoDB file space defragmentation" could use significantly more
explanation.

By my understanding, delete-marked rows are in fact "physically deleted"
(re-linked to the garbage record list) during purge. However, the garbage
records in the list are not reclaimed unless: a. the first record in the
list has enough usable space for a newly inserted records (potentially
leaving some of the record's space unused); or b. the page becomes full and
gets re-organized, freeing all garbage space implicitly. Of course then
even in the best case the page is still "used" and not free.

Freeing unused file space is an entirely different problem, involving
potentially relocating used pages to be more contiguous, and then reducing
the free limit and then the page count for the space.

They seem to be entirely different problems and without much overlap at
all. They are both potentially useful, and interesting. (Although I am not
sure why to make it an external tool as opposed to internal functionality,
that seems unnecessary.)

Can you explain your ideas/goals for this?

Regards,

Jeremy