From: Nirbhay Choubey <nirbhay@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:nirbhay@xxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 at 5:20 AM
To: Colin Charles <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:colin@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
Cc: Callaghan Mark <mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx>>, Fusion-io Admin <ddas@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ddas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>, MariaDB discuss <maria-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:maria-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: Re: [Maria-discuss] fusion io

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 7:02 AM, Colin Charles <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:colin@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Hi Mark,

On 14 Jun 2014, at 00:44, MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

> Where can directFS be downloaded? This is open source, right?
>

>From what I gather, there is a public API to this called OpenNVM (http://opennvm.github.io/). But the short answer is that directfs/nvmfs isn't opensource - you only get this if you have a fusion-io card

Found this in one of the fusion-io's blogs :
" We plan to release directFS as an open source file system to demonstrate the usage and benefits of native interfaces."

http://www.fusionio.com/blog/under-the-hood-of-the-iomemory-sdk

Best,
Nirbhay

Fusion-io itself is a commercial product, so nvmfs/directfs is likely from them only (and is probably closed source). I take it others can implement it, but haven't (yet?) ?

MariaDB's initial implementation of it is here:
        http://lists.askmonty.org/pipermail/commits/2013-March/004529.html
(and I presume this was then ported to Percona Server as well -- http://www.percona.com/doc/percona-server/5.6/performance/atomic_fio.html)

It seems the magic is at:
#define DFS_IOCTL_ATOMIC_WRITE_SET _IOW(0x95, 2, uint)

I found a presentation that talks about it (nothing about the filesystem itself being opensource):
        http://www.slideshare.net/fusionio/perconalive-accelerating-mysql-in-open-source-hyperscale-systems

And for reference some older blog posts:
https://blog.mariadb.org/significant-performance-boost-with-new-mariadb-page-compression-on-fusionio/
https://blog.mariadb.org/mariadb-introduces-atomic-writes/

And attached for brevity, is a short chat I had with Jan Lindström who works on the fusion-io code now:

11:42 < bytee> jplindst: our fusion-io work, is based on the open APIs at
               http://opennvm.github.io/ correct?
11:46 < jplindst> bytee: To be totally honest, I have no idea what are the API
                  at the http page you mentioned, I have used standard POSIX
                  interfaces to access FusionIO storage, thus you will need
                  FusionIO SSD card and NVMFS file system
11:47 < bytee> jplindst: nvmfs file system - where does one get it ? from
               fusion-io ?
11:47 < jplindst> bytee: FusionIO card is naturally commercial product, nvmfs
                  to current my understanding does not work with any other
                  device
11:48 < bytee> jplindst: ok, likely because others haven't implemented it
11:48 < jplindst> bytee: correct
11:49 < jplindst> bytee: If you have the card you should have the file system
                  module
11:50 < bytee> jplindst: thanks
11:51 < jplindst> bytee: Last time we did discuss with FusionIO the actual file
                  system was not yet open source
11:51 < jplindst> bytee: not sure if that has been changed now that
                  announcements are out
11:51 < bytee> jplindst: doubt there is, from what i gathere

I hope this helps

cheers,
-colin

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 5:18 PM, Daniel Black <daniel.black@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:daniel.black@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> Thanks Colin. Missed that line of the doco and/or assumed it was a capability of another file-system.

Colin Charles, Chief Evangelist, SkySQL - The MariaDB Company
blog: http://bytebot.net/blog/| t: +6-012-204-3201<tel:%2B6-012-204-3201> | Skype: colincharles