Re: Lost connection to MySQL server at, 'reading authorization packet', system error: 104 (or 0)

Am 19.06.2014 13:17, schrieb Tanstaafl:
> On 6/18/2014 7:53 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> the client seems to use the very outdated mysql4 protocol
>> which is not compatible
>
> When you say 'not compatible' - do you mean that mariadb simply will
> (would) not work with that protocol if the software attempts to use it?

that's not a matter of MariaDB
it's a matter that MySQL4 passed away nearly 10 years

please read about the changes between MySQL4 and MySQL5 if it comes
to authentication, how passwords are stored  and so on...... at least
the the message reads like authentication problems

>> - no idea why it does that only sometimes - maybe a completly wrong
>> error message from the software!
>
> So, either for some reason the software really does attempt to use the mysql4 protocl during this transaction, and
> mariadb doesn't support it so the connection fails,
>
> or,
>
> the software itself is reporting the error incorrectly?

yes

> I just want to understand your response before I go back the the SOGo list with this.
>
> Oh - I don't have debug logging enabled on mariadb... what would be the best way to get more information about this
> event on my mariadb server without flooding the logs with irrelevant stuff and/or impacting performance?

if the client really refuses connection due handshake most likely
nothing on the server side - ask the vednor, you said it worked
before you upgraded the client software - so why do you search
the solution on the server side first?