Re: The future of Dynamic Columns

Hi!

On 27.01.15 16:39, Tom Worster wrote:
[skip]

   2. In at least two places (one was here
<https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/indexoptimizations-in-dynamic-columns/>)
  I've read text with the implied meaning, "we may improve such-and-such
about MDC if and when people start actually using it."
True. We can't develop features if there is no money or interest in them. We have some plans but have to be sure before implementing them.

   3. The MDC syntax is so clunky I worry that people who might find it
useful are turned away.
It is just functions there is nothing about additional syntax.

   6. The lack of indexing of dynamic columns is a severe limitation but
PostgreSQL manages to index jsonb document properties.
There is plans about functional indexes for dynamic columns and for virtual columns but plans should be supported by money or people.

And then...

   7. I head a rumor that some kind of JSON features are coming to Maria.
All plans I know about JSON connected to dynamic columns (as a storage for JSON). But I have to say that plans have no dates and versions yet.

So, do Maria's Dynamic Columns have a future?
Yes.
Are my fears that MDC will
be neglected as some better solution to the same problem receives all the
attention?
If you or somebody else make something better for MariaDB then yes it is possible that Dynamic columns can be neglected, but there is no such threat now.

[skip]