Re: The future of Dynamic Columns

This discussion reminds me of 6-8 years back when XML was introduced in
MySQL ("LOAD DATA XML, "mysqldump --xml", XML functions (ExtractValue
etc.).  It was a *big hype* at the time it was introduced. Now it seems to
be an almost forgotten feature used by close_to_nobody.

What should a JSON option be used for? Passing data series to
javascript/HTML5 would be relevant (?). But there are probably many more
use cases - including sharing data with NoSQL systems (MongoDB etc.). And
each use case may have its own requirements. I think the first thing to
define is the*audience* and *target*/*purpose* for such feature and discuss
external interfaces rather than internals at this point.

-- Peter