Re: The future of Dynamic Columns

Hi, Tom!

To sum this thread up:

* clunky syntax is unfortunate, but that's what SQL is, that'll probably
  stay that way :(

* A function to query a type of a value for a particular dynamic column,
  COLUMN_GET_SQL() as you call it, that should be easy to do.
  I've just created an issue for that: https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-7535
  feel free to add your comments there.

* indexes for dynamic columns (even if not "as important"). This is
  already existing MDEV-6017, but it's a much larger task than COLUMN_GET_SQL.

* Input JSON directly - an existing task too, MDEV-7524

* And arrays were mentioned too, it's MDEV-6632

And while I'm not promising anything, I think that MDEV-7535
(COLUMN_GET_SQL or something similar) has a good chance of being
implemented in 10.2.

Regards,
Sergei