Re: Giving up on dynamic columns

Hi Tom,

On 01.03.2015 22:38, Tom Worster wrote:
I discovered this showstopper on Friday while working with real data in
development of a new app. I managed to narrow it down today and filed the
bug report.

https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-7650

Looks like Maria saves an illegally formatted dyncol string if a dynamic
column is longer than 64kB and is not alphabetically last by name among the
dynamic column in the blob.

Please note that regardless any particular feature, an application working with real data should either check for warnings which happen upon DML -- in your case, INSERTs produce "Data truncated for column 'dcols'", -- or, better still, set a strict sql_mode which will convert these warnings to errors, so the illegal data could never be inserted in the first place.

Regards,
Elena

Tbh, even is this were fixed tomorrow so I could proceed with my work, I'm
not sure I would use dyncols. My confidence in the feature has been shaken.
It's a pity because the Active Record ORM extension I wrote was working.

Tom