What should offer base mariadb docker image

We're having quite interesting discussion about what users expect from general mariadb docker image, so trying to reach out (future) consumers.

I see few options, from simple to feature rich scenarios, so let's take three examples..

A) simple one would only include installed packages and run the mysqld server with default configuration. (That one would probably be almost unusable, since users wouldn't have easy way to initialize datadir..)

B) the image would include scripts that help to initialize datadir, set basic authentication (if given) and also offers to import some dump during initialization, e.g.:

  #> docker run -v /mydata:/var/lib/mysql mariadb
#> docker run -v /mydata:/var/lib/mysql -v /dump.sql:/expected/dir mariadb
  #> docker run -e ROOT_PASS=abcdefgh -v /mydata:/var/lib/mysql mariadb

C) full featured image that offers simple master/slave replication just by running:

  #> docker run -e TYPE=master mariadb
  #> docker run -e TYPE=slave -e MASTER=172.16.1.12 mariadb

There are some advocates of the C) but IMHO it is not doable to deliver general enough solution for master/slave (thinking about failover scenarious in the first place), right?

So B) sounds much more useful and I'd prefer such docker images.

Does anybody has a different opinion? (either developer/user PoV would be welcome)

Honza

Follow ups