Re: Questions regarding Galera Cluster

Hi,

Not to be pedantic, but you are describing the quorum, not a split brain.
The quorum prevents split brain.

A split brain is when nodes are split, usually due to a network partition,
in such a way that both sides of the partition believe that they are the
master.  Each writes conflicting transactions into the diverged sides, and
when the sides converge, if the system is not partition tolerant and self
healing through a conflict resolution mechanism, chaos will ensue since
both sides now have different pictures of the data.

As will suggested, the weighted quorum mechanism prevents this from
happening.  If you have 5 nodes, at least 3 nodes (a majority) must be able
to communicate.  If no partition contains 3 nodes, no nodes will be able to
accept changes, or even answer queries.

--Justin