mysql_install_db.exe failing on Dutch Windows Machine(s) on some Folders

Hi,

I'm trying to debug a mariadb failure on a machine in Holland. It seems mysql_install_db doesn't work for some folders, but does for others (e.g. c:\temp\db). We've typed exactly the same thing into the Dutch machine as my UK machine. On the UK machine it works fine, on the dutch machine it claims to work, but the mysql folder is empty on completion (and sunsequently the database doesn't start for obvious reasons). I've asked the guy in Holland to check folder write permissions on the parent folders created, and obviously the logged in user must be the owner as they are created with mkdir (see below):

Dutch machine:
Microsoft Windows [versie 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle rechten voorbehouden.

C:\Users\g10031702>cd  c:\
c:\>mkdir MIM
c:\>cd MIM
c:\MIM>mkdir MIMDB
c:\MIM>cd "c:\program files\mariadb 10.1\BIN"
c:\Program Files\MariaDB 10.1\bin>mysql_install_db.exe --datadir=c:/MIM/MIMDB/db --password=password
Running bootstrap
Creation of the database was successfull
c:\Program Files\MariaDB 10.1\bin>

[On exit the db sub-folder is created, as is the mysql sub-folder, but the latter is empty. N.B. We tried both 5.5 and 10.1 versions, same issue, same output.]
UK Machine

C:\Users\cscdrm>cd c:\

c:\>mkdir MIM

c:\>cd MIM

c:\MIM>mkdir MIMDB

c:\MIM>cd "c:\Program
Files\MariaDB 5.5\bin"

c:\Program Files\MariaDB
5.5\bin>mysql_install_db.exe --datadir=c:/MIM/MIMDB/db --password=password

Running bootstrap

Removing default user   <------- Extra

Setting root password     <------- Extra

Creating my.ini file           <------- Extra

Creation of the database was
successfull

c:\Program Files\MariaDB
5.5\bin>
 [On exit the db sub-folder is created, as is the mysql sub-folder, and the lattercontains ~80 files]
Has anyone got an idea how to fix this? We've seen similar things on a range of Dutch machines in the same institution where it always works if you use a sub folder of c:\temp, but other locations fail (e.g. under c:\Users, c:\). I've never seen it fail on a UK machine.

Thanks a lot
Derek