Connect Engine with ODBC

Hi,

I've been experimenting with the new Connect engine and the ODBC table type.

I've installed MariaDB 10.1.17 on a test machine.
I have an ODBC diver connected to a C-ISAM database.
I am able to use this ODBC to connect from a MS Access 2013 database and despite some restrictions related to the C-ISAM DB it works well

I have also been able to connect successfully from MariaDB and create connect tables.
The only issue I'm having with the ODBC table type is the lack of indexes.

However, I have noticed that in the MariaDB documentation accessible from https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/connect-table-types-odbc-table-type-accessing-tables-from-other-dbms/ there is a note :-
"Version 1.04 (from MariaDB 10.1.6<https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb-1016-release-notes/>) adds remote indexing facility to the ODBC table type."

As I've now installed 10.1.17 on my test machine, would someone be able to provide more information on the status of remote indexing, how it works and on how I may be able to make use of this?
I am using HeidiSQL (Vers. 9.1.0.4867) as a front end tool and when I try to create indexes for the connect tables I get a message "SQL Error (1105): Table type ODBC is not indexable".

Kind Regards,
Bruce Carlson

Follow ups