Adding timestamp column to a system

Hi All
Running Mariadb 10.0.16 and need to add a timestamp column to a table with
has around 60m rows

Testing on lesser hardware instances suggest around 40 minutes to make this
change on the production system.

To reduce the down time I was planning to alter the slave and role swap the
slave to become the master

I have added the column to a test slave and notice it alway populates as
Unix_epoch 0 ie no current timestamp
date           |  timestamp
2016-01-29 | 0000-00-00 00:00:00

This sounds about right, but to confirm it's not a bug.

Other than the timestamp value not being correct up to that time of making
any changes, which is acceptable for why it is being added, like the role
swap, is there any things to be concerned about if I follow that as an
approach? The role swap was needing to be done soon anyway so that in
itself isn't a stumpling block

I know Percona has their tools that allow online schema changes, I have
never used it in anger to achieve this sort of change. Would I be better
off using that.

Cheers

--
*Peter McLarty*
* DBA*

--

Compare The Market is a brand and trading name of Compare The Market (Pty) Ltd (CTM). This email is for the intended addressee and is confidential and subject to copyright.
If you are not the intended addressee, confidentiality has not been waived and any use, interference with, or disclosure of this email is unauthorised.

Follow ups