MYSQL_OPT_CONNECT_TIMEOUT default?

MySQL docs page http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/mysql-options.html

*MYSQL_OPT_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (argument type: unsigned int *)*
*The connect timeout in seconds.*

However I don't find it documented anywhere what the default
(client-initiated) connect_timeout will become if not specified in
mysql_options(). Or will the client never initiate a timeout in connection
phase in such case?

We are usng MariaDB C-conn 2.31 so the question here on this list is
specifically for MariaDB connector.  I didn't find it documented here
either. But both MySql and MariaDB have probably inherited this from the
old LGPL 3.x connector so this are probably the same in both.

Asked a docs request here as well: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=83600

--- Peter

Follow ups