Re: Flashback (MDEV-10459) bikeshedding a name

Just a thought:

If we try to use same name/term across different DB platform avoid
confusions for folks who actually uses down the line. For example:
PARTITION is more or less same across all DB Platforms, so anyone moving
from one DB platform to another, easily they adopt to the terms and
concepts since they are similar naming. But if we use different name like
COMPARTMENT or VOLUME or something similar for PARTITION then it creates
confusion.

I am not sure whether ANSI SQL Standards body will govern the naming
standards for the DB technologies to avoid ending up naming differently for
each DB technologies. For example: Oracle's START WITH CONNECT BY is ANSI's
RECURSIVE SUB QUERY FACTORING or so.

We have to use search engine -> PARTITION Equivalent in Mysql. Anyway,
that's what we do when we try to understand what is the equivalent of one
DB term in another DB.

Off topic: For SYSDATE equivalent of Oracle in Mysql, I end up get multiple
way to get SYSDATE. Not sure why we introduce that many options to confuse.
I understand its due to some backward compatibility or so.

Anyway, if we use the term FLASHBACK, more or less, everyone in DB
technologies understand what it means. This is just my humble thought.

BTW, I will go ahead and vote for FLASHBACK. Thanks!