upgrading galera 10.0 -> 10.1 without writes downtime

Hello list

I have to upgrade a cluster and I hoped I can do it safely without a downtime. In my understanding though it is not possible.
In my specific case, the cluster is 10.0 and must be upgraded to 10.1. There is a "master" node.
Steps are:

1. I upgrade all "slave" nodes
2. I change the "master"
3. I upgrade the old master

The problem is that, between 2 and 3, old master is 10.0, and it replicates from 10.1.
This is not supported, based on this page:
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/upgrading-mariadb-upgrading-from-mariadb-galera-cluster-100-to-mariadb-101/
"to prevent 10.1 propagating to 10.0, which is not supported"

So my question is, is there a way to upgrade this cluster without writes downtime?

Regards,
Federico