Re: limiting memory use by mariadb?

dataset size: 1000000 rows. 5 int cols. 7 char cols
I run mysqlslap for 99 concurrent clients ( out of 100 max)
Container memory is limited to 5.268G
Query cache configuration is default, i didn't try to change it
Why MyISAM engine is more suitable in resource constrained env? What's the
cons of using it?

Below is my "my.cnf":
# MariaDB database server configuration file.
#
# You can copy this file to one of:
# - "/etc/mysql/my.cnf" to set global options,
# - "~/.my.cnf" to set user-specific options.
#
# One can use all long options that the program supports.
# Run program with --help to get a list of available options and with
# --print-defaults to see which it would actually understand and use.
#
# For explanations see
# http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/server-system-variables.html

# This will be passed to all mysql clients
# It has been reported that passwords should be enclosed with ticks/quotes
# escpecially if they contain "#" chars...
# Remember to edit /etc/mysql/debian.cnf when changing the socket location.
[client]
port = 3306
socket = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

# Here is entries for some specific programs
# The following values assume you have at least 32M ram

# This was formally known as [safe_mysqld]. Both versions are currently
parsed.
[mysqld_safe]
socket = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
nice = 0

[mysqld]
skip-host-cache
skip-name-resolve
#
# * Basic Settings
#
user = mysql
pid-file = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
socket = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
port = 3306
basedir = /usr
datadir = /var/lib/mysql
tmpdir = /tmp
lc_messages_dir  = /usr/share/mysql
lc_messages = en_US
skip-external-locking
#
# Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on
# localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure.
#bind-address = 127.0.0.1
#
# * Fine Tuning
#
max_connections  = 100
connect_timeout  = 5
wait_timeout = 600
max_allowed_packet  = 16M
thread_cache_size       = 128
sort_buffer_size  = 4M
bulk_insert_buffer_size
= 16M
tmp_table_size = 32M
max_heap_table_size  = 32M
#
# * MyISAM
#
# This replaces the startup script and checks MyISAM tables if needed
# the first time they are touched. On error, make copy and try a repair.
myisam_recover_options = BACKUP
key_buffer_size  = 128M
#open-files-limit  = 2000
table_open_cache  = 400
myisam_sort_buffer_size
= 512M
concurrent_insert  = 2
read_buffer_size  = 2M
read_rnd_buffer_size  = 1M
#
# * Query Cache Configuration
#
# Cache only tiny result sets, so we can fit more in the query cache.
query_cache_limit  = 128K
query_cache_size  = 64M
# for more write intensive setups, set to DEMAND or OFF
#query_cache_type  = DEMAND
#
# * Logging and Replication
#
# Both location gets rotated by the cronjob.
# Be aware that this log type is a performance killer.
# As of 5.1 you can enable the log at runtime!
#general_log_file        = /var/log/mysql/mysql.log
#general_log             = 1
#
# Error logging goes to syslog due to
/etc/mysql/conf.d/mysqld_safe_syslog.cnf.
#
# we do want to know about network errors and such
#log_warnings = 2
#
# Enable the slow query log to see queries with especially long duration
#slow_query_log[={0|1}]
slow_query_log_file  = /var/log/mysql/mariadb-slow.log
long_query_time = 10
#log_slow_rate_limit  = 1000
#log_slow_verbosity  = query_plan

#log-queries-not-using-indexes
#log_slow_admin_statements
#
# The following can be used as easy to replay backup logs or for
replication.
# note: if you are setting up a replication slave, see README.Debian about
#       other settings you may need to change.
#server-id = 1
#report_host = master1
#auto_increment_increment = 2
#auto_increment_offset  = 1
#log_bin = /var/log/mysql/mariadb-bin
#log_bin_index = /var/log/mysql/mariadb-bin.index
# not fab for performance, but safer
#sync_binlog = 1
expire_logs_days  = 10
max_binlog_size         = 100M
# slaves
#relay_log = /var/log/mysql/relay-bin
#relay_log_index  = /var/log/mysql/relay-bin.index
#relay_log_info_file  = /var/log/mysql/relay-bin.info
#log_slave_updates
#read_only
#
# If applications support it, this stricter sql_mode prevents some
# mistakes like inserting invalid dates etc.
#sql_mode = NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION,TRADITIONAL
#
# * InnoDB
#
# InnoDB is enabled by default with a 10MB datafile in /var/lib/mysql/.
# Read the manual for more InnoDB related options. There are many!
default_storage_engine  = InnoDB
# you can't just change log file size, requires special procedure
#innodb_log_file_size  = 50M
innodb_buffer_pool_size
= 256M
innodb_log_buffer_size  = 8M
innodb_file_per_table  = 1
innodb_open_files  = 400
innodb_io_capacity  = 400
innodb_flush_method  = O_DIRECT
#
# * Security Features
#
# Read the manual, too, if you want chroot!
# chroot = /var/lib/mysql/
#
# For generating SSL certificates I recommend the OpenSSL GUI "tinyca".
#
# ssl-ca=/etc/mysql/cacert.pem
# ssl-cert=/etc/mysql/server-cert.pem
# ssl-key=/etc/mysql/server-key.pem

#
# * Galera-related settings
#
[galera]
# Mandatory settings
#wsrep_on=ON
#wsrep_provider=
#wsrep_cluster_address=
#binlog_format=row
#default_storage_engine=InnoDB
#innodb_autoinc_lock_mode=2
#
# Allow server to accept connections on all interfaces.
#
#bind-address=0.0.0.0
#
# Optional setting
#wsrep_slave_threads=1
#innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=0

[mysqldump]
quick
quote-names
max_allowed_packet  = 16M

[mysql]
#no-auto-rehash  # faster start of mysql but no tab completion

[isamchk]
key_buffer = 16M

#
# * IMPORTANT: Additional settings that can override those from this file!
#   The files must end with '.cnf', otherwise they'll be ignored.
#
!includedir /etc/mysql/conf.d/