Re: default_tmp_storage_engine=NULL

On 09/02/2017 11:58, Sergei Golubchik wrote:
Hi, Ian!

On Feb 09, Ian Gilfillan wrote:
What is the purpose/effect of having MariaDB's
default_tmp_storage_engine setting default to NULL instead of the
default used in MySQL, Innodb? I can't see any obvious differences in
behaviour.

NULL means "same as default_storage_engine"
That is, no matter what you change your default_storage_engine to be,
temporary tables will always use the same engine.

Thanks, but I'm also trying to understand why this decision was made. It's an odd obscure difference to the MySQL behaviour, and I'm sure someone is going to run up against it some day, and I'd like to try document the reasoning behind it.