Re: default_tmp_storage_engine=NULL

This is indeed odd.  The point of the variable is to use myisam temporary
tables when innodb storage is used because there is a huge performance hit
to using innodb temporary tables.  The default of null makes MariaDB use
innodb temp tables which will cause a performance degradation.  I'd expect
the variable to default to myisam or aria.