Re: Upgrading From MySQL 5.6 to MariaDB 10.1

Hi Michael,

On 02/23/2017 10:17 PM, Michael Caplan wrote:
Hi there,

I'm not seeing any concise information in the MariaDB docs about the
recommended upgrade plan from MySQL 5.6 to MariaDB 10.1. Should I
install MariaDB 10.0 and then 10.1?  Or can I run right to 10.1?

I'm running an older version of Ubuntu (12.04 Precise).  Looking at the
repo, it looks like I can stick with Precise, and hand that upgrade
later.  Or are there recommended min version of Ubuntu I should hit first?

There is no point installing 10.0 as an intermediate step, you can go directly to 10.1.

Precise is okay for now, but I wouldn't recommend to stick with it for long, as it has EOL in 2 months, which means MariaDB might stop producing packages soon afterwards. The next LTS would be a better choice.

Data-wise, simple upgrade 5.6 => 10.1 should work all right. That is, you have 5.6 datadir, install MariaDB 10.1, start it with the existing datadir, run mysql_upgrade, it should work.

Package-wise, it's a bit more complicated.
We are trying to support, whenever possible, upgrade from MySQL/MariaDB packages built by Debian/Ubuntu to MariaDB's packages. But you're using Oracle's own packages, currently we don't monitor or maintain direct upgrade from them, and I'm quite certain it won't "just work". To perform the upgrade, I would recommend to

- backup the data dir (in case something goes very wrong);
- uninstall all 5.6.x-1ubuntu12.04 packages that you have (don't purge);
- add MariaDB 10.1 repo to the source list and install MariaDB;
- run mysql_upgrade.

Please keep in mind that there are some differences between MariaDB and
MySQL 5.6, including (but not limited to) server options. So, if you keep your old config file and if there are options which MariaDB does not have, server startup might choke. You will see in the error log which options it didn't recognize.

Regards,
Elena

Thanks!

Mike