Re: MySQL Workbench Fork?

> On Apr 21, 2017, at 5:14 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> there don't exist much where you are really faster with a GUI except you don't know how to handle things - what worries me more is a database server which is even open over TCP to the network

The expected answer, heard the same thing over and over in the past on endless products. Yes, DOS really was great. :-) Of course, the database is no more open than your command line technique since it’s using an ssh tunnel (and thus only access is localhost) and likely you use ssh also for command line access. Unless you are local and the servers are not in a datacenter, which has it’s own set of troubles. Just keep in mind not everyone works in a huge company (I have). There are numerous customers out there running small businesses on open source and they are not up to the level of most people here to say the least. For them, a free admin product is a good thing. Control panel type “admin” systems are awful for the most part.

Regarding the heidisql suggestion, it supports very few modern features, it is way too limited. Workbench supports many things heidisql does not.

Regarding navicat, I use that on IOS and it seems to work ok. Have not used it on a desktop. But yes, there are paid options. Might try the free trial to see what it does and does not do.

Still, as a full mysql replacement, I do agree with the op, workbench should be part of the replacement in an ideal world, it just looks good marketing wise. However, I get that the product takes an entirely different skill set and being multiplatform makes it a bit more difficult. That’s a better reason to make your case. Certainly products like Columnstore are more important. Was not aware of some of the paid options, so, it’s good there is some choice there.