Ubuntu 16.04, Accidentally installed mariadb-server on top of mysql-server

Hello,

Guys, I did a bad one.  I only had one server remaining that still had mysql installed and thinking I was logged into my laptop's console, I executed apt-get install mariadb-server.

I wasn't on my laptop.  I was logged into a virtual hosting server and knocked eight sites offline including my wiki of all my HOWTO documents ironically, describing how to install mariadb-server on various platforms.

I didn't notice anything was amiss until I saw a comment that it was uninstalling mysql (which I knew wasn't on my laptop)

I was able to log in using my old root password, but all my databases were gone.

Is there any hope for recovering the databases as they were earlier today?

Rich

Follow ups