Error when switching to MariaDB

Hello,

First of all, here is what I'm working with:

Original machine: MySQL Server 5.7.18-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
Destination machine: MariaDB 10.0.30-MariaDB-0+deb8u2

These two machines have no filesystem or communication with with other.

I am moving to MariaDB with about 10 to 15 databases that were created in
MySQL and I have had a very odd problem with the destination machine
running MariaDB where the applications using these databases were having
connection errors with their databases.

I looked very carefully at what I had done.  I exported the databases from
MySQL using:

$ mysqldump --all-databases > all.sql

and imported the collection on the new machine with

$ mysql -u root -p < all.sql

When I log in as root, all appears well when I inspect the databases, but
all is not well.  The applications the use these databases cannot connect.
 I enter the command line to connect using the SQL user accounts, and
guess what, they don't log in with their respective passwords.  I can log
in on the MySQL server using the same account/password pairs.

I think it might be a permissions issue.  I log into the MariaDB server as
root and flush privileges, just to make sure, and I get a terribly vague
error message (with no details dropped off in /var/log/mysql/ either).

MariaDB [(none)]> flush privileges;
ERROR 1105 (HY000): Unknown error

When I reach this point, I perform something akin to these steps:

sudo su
service stop mysql
apt-get purge mariadb-server mariadb-server-10.0 mariabd-comon
mariadb-client mariadb-client-10.0 mariadb-client-core-10.0
mariadb-server-core-10.0
rm -rf /etc/mysql
rm -rf /var/lib/mysql
apt-get install mariadb-server mariadb-client
exit

and I'm asked for root password, etc and also run
mysql_secure_installation with all suggested values.

Voila, flush privileges works again on the MariaDB server, at least until
I attempt to reinsert the databases.

Are these problems somewhat unique?  Is there a way to pry additional
detail from mariadb, such as launching the server in a debug mode?  What
scenarios have people seen cause this in the past?  Where do I look for
detailed symptoms?

Timothy D. Legg

Follow ups