mariadb 10.2.6 make test failures

I am trying to build mariadb from source on a linux system. I used this procedure:

mkdir build
cd    build
cmake -DTOKUDB_OK=0 ..
make
make test

The build goes fine, but the output of make test gives:

74% tests passed, 21 tests failed out of 81

Total Test time (real) =  42.80 sec

The following tests FAILED:
         23 - bulk1 (Failed)
         24 - performance (Failed)
         25 - basic-t (Failed)
         26 - fetch (Failed)
         27 - charset (Failed)
         28 - logs (Failed)
         29 - cursor (Failed)
         30 - errors (Failed)
         31 - view (Failed)
         32 - ps (Failed)
         33 - ps_bugs (Failed)
         34 - sp (Failed)
         35 - result (Failed)
         36 - connection (Failed)
         37 - misc (Failed)
         38 - ps_new (Failed)
         39 - sqlite3 (Failed)
         40 - thread (Failed)
         41 - features-10_2 (Failed)
         42 - dyncol (Failed)
         43 - async (Failed)
Errors while running CTest

All the failing tests have messages in the log like:

# Couldn't establish connection to server (null). Error (2002): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
Bail out! Can't connect to a server. Aborting....

All the above tests appear to be new to version 10.2. I used the asme build procedure for version 10.1.23 and all tests pass, but none of the above tests show up on the earlier version either.

What am I missing? If the tests need a server running, shouldn't the tests start the server?

  -- Bruce

Follow ups