TRIGGERing on new users

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong venue; please point me in a more correct direction if that's the case.

I want to perform some extra database functions when a new user is created in our MariaDB installation. What I am learning though is that I can't CREATE TRIGGERs against system tables like the user table in the mysql database.

I am using MariaDB v10.1.24 in an Ubuntu 16.04.2 environment

Have others run across a similar situation? Are there techniques to work around this? One thought I had was to enable general query log and either monitor the file output or TRIGGER on the general_log table. Are there any better suggestions? Thanks in advance.

--
Curtis Brown, unix system administrator        For general PC questions,
Academic Computing and Networking Services     call: 970-491-7276

Follow ups