Re: -DWITH_SYSTEMD=ON is the same as -DWITH_SYSTEMD=OFF

On 13.07.2017 21:22, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 13.07.2017 um 21:08 schrieb Vladislav Vaintroub:

On 13.07.2017 20:44, Reindl Harald wrote:
previously i had -DWITH_SYSTEMD=OFF and while trying to switch to Type=notify i switched that to -DWITH_SYSTEMD=ON - well, nothing mentions systemd (yes, systemd-devel is installed)

remove the option completly and oh look:
-- Looking for include file systemd/sd-daemon.h
-- Looking for include file systemd/sd-daemon.h - found

did i say that cmake is a bunch of crap already?

a sane buildsystem won't need ON/OFF at all with params started by "WITH" or "WITHOUT".... like the old ./configure where on some projects like PHP you just start with --dsiable-all followed by --enable-x, --enable-y and all is fine and clear

I probably should not have named parameters WITH or WITHOUT when I converted build system to cmake. I freely admit this is a mistake, but had a tactical advantage , at least at earlier stages of cmake introduction, to have high level consistency with the old ./configure, in how old parameters were translated to cmake's.

As for extraneous checks for headers, there were tons of unnecessary checks in ./configure, or megatons even.Nobody cared is there is one more check for a header or less, even in the old "good" times

that both exists is not the problem but that we have ON/OFF, YES/NO, 0/1 and sometimes works EITH, sometimes WITHOUT with one of the 3 types is a joke and finally:
ON/OFF and 1/0 are the same for cmake. IF(X) evaluates to true in CMake, for X either ON or 1. I prefer to use 1 because it is shorter, but you can use ON if you like it more

YES/NO is not boolean, and also I did not use it back in the day. We started to use it where binary logic is insufficient, as in "YES,NO,AUTO,...".

 -DENABLED_PROFILING=OFF \
 -DENABLE_DEBUG_SYNC=OFF \

ENABLED/ENABLE - are you kidding (ENABLE cobined with OFF completly ignored in taht case)?

The particular parameters do not seem to disturb anyone (maybe everyone is happy with default values). It was probably a typo back in the day.If this bothers you, feel free to contribute a patch, or to file a bug. We do have a bug database, and it is not this mailing list.