Re: RPM CMake build arguments - Fedora

Hi, Michal!

On Nov 13, Michal Schorm wrote:

> 3) PCRE
> Good question actually :)
> I think now it has mostly historical reasons only. I'll check, if it still
> makes sense.

To clarify. There can be four cases:

1. system PCRE is usable, WITH_PCRE=system
  = mariadb uses system pcre (default behaviour would be system)
2. system PCRE is usable, WITH_PCRE=bundled
  = mariadb uses bundled pcre (default behaviour would be system)
3. system PCRE is not usable, WITH_PCRE=system
  = error. doesn't build (default behaviour would be bundled)
4. system PCRE is not usable, WITH_PCRE=bundled
  = mariadb uses bundled pcre (default behaviour would be bundled)

As you see, in cases 1 and 4 the default behavior does what you want.
In the case 3 it doesn't build at all, so it's not a configuration
you'll be using.
The case 2 is the only possible combination where forcing WITH_PCRE
would make any meaningful difference.

So if the case 2 is important to you - you need to set WITH_PCRE.
If you don't care about it (and generally don't want to bundle PCRE, if
it can be avoided) - you don't need to set WITH_PCRE at all.

Regards,
Sergei
Chief Architect MariaDB
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx