Re: MariaDB upgrade 10.1 to 10.2 CentOS7

Hi Karthick,

On 11/13/2017 11:11 AM, Karthick Subramanian wrote:
All,

Did anyone face issues after upgrading the mariadb from 10.1 to 10.2 to login to root user as shown below:

mysql -u root

I got the error - unix_socket not loaded.

I noticed that the unix_socket authentication is required after the upgrade for root login from localhost. Can anyone confirm whether this is part of the feature after upgrades.

This is strange, upgrade to packages *provided by MariaDB* shouldn't do it. Packages provided by another party could be a different story. Could you please paste the output of rpm -qa | grep -iE 'mariadb|mysql' or alike?

In my previous version:

select user, plugin from mysql.user;

+-----------+------+-------------+
| Host      | User | plugin      |
+-----------+------+-------------+
| localhost | root |                |
------------------------------------

After upgrade:

select user, plugin from mysql.user;

+-----------+------+-------------+
| Host      | User | plugin      |
| localhost | root | unix_socket |

The other way round is more common -- some variations of 10.1 did set unix_socket authentication for local root and could have it enabled by default, and then after upgrade to regular 10.2 unix_socket would become disabled while root would still require it.

Is it possible that your previous installation points at a different data directory, while the old one that 10.2 now uses had this kind of configuration before?

Regards,
Elena

Regards,
Karthick