Is this normal behaviour?

All,

When I tried to connect in centos 7 mariadb 10.2.11 server using root user,
by mistake I gave wrong user name, but it connected successfully. I am not
sure why. When I check show databases, it didnt list all DBs, but when I
connect with root again, I can see all valid Dbs.

Is this normal that even if I give wrong user, it authenticate into DB
server from root.

[root@ipaddr ~]# mysql -u rot
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 22
Server version: 10.2.11-MariaDB MariaDB Server

Copyright (c) 2000, 2017, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input
statement.

MariaDB [(none)]> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database           |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
| test               |
+--------------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

MariaDB [(none)]> exit
Bye
[root@ipaddr~]# mysql -u root
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 24
Server version: 10.2.11-MariaDB MariaDB Server

Copyright (c) 2000, 2017, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input
statement.

MariaDB [(none)]> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database           |