Re: ERROR 1071 with mysql_upgrade

Hi, Reindl!

On Jul 16, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 16.07.19 um 21:13 schrieb Sergei Golubchik:
> > you can run mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql manually. Like with
> > mysql -uroot -p -vvv < mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql
>
> how would that solve the issue of a obviously incompatible change in 10.4?

The question in the email was "How do I debug this?" and I tried to
answer it. My reply might help to find the statement that causes the
error, aborting the upgrade. Then we could look at why it fails, whether
it's something in 10.4, in mysql_upgrade, or some local change that the
user did, or may be something caused by FreeBSD patches.

> > On Jul 16, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to upgrade a MariaDB 10.2 server to 10.4.6 on FreeBSD.
> >>
> >> When running the mysql_update command, it dies with:
> >>
> >> $ mysql_upgrade
> >> Phase 1/7: Checking and upgrading mysql database
> >> Processing databases
> >> mysql
> >> mysql.transaction_registry                         OK
> >> Phase 2/7: Installing used storage engines... Skipped
> >> Phase 3/7: Fixing views
> >> mysql.user                                         OK
> >> Phase 4/7: Running 'mysql_fix_privilege_tables'
> >> ERROR 1071 (42000) at line 437: Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes
> >> FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
> >>
> >> Adding verbose option does not give more hints, and the failing SQL
> >> statement doesn't seem to be logged with full query logging turned on.
> >>
> >> How do I debug this? I can't even see which table or column it's
> >> complaining about. I don't remember fiddling with collation or
> >> character sets on system tables.

Regards,
Sergei
VP of MariaDB Server Engineering