Re: How to give user permission to create a trigger?

> we are using 'mixed logging' in the binary log so should be safe activating 'log_bin_trust_function_creators = ON'?

Should be yes.

> Do I have to set it on the master only or slave to?

If you don't plan to promote slave to a master at some later/failover time then it's needed only on master.

p.s. it's a dynamic setting so if the user needs to make the triggers once you can enable it temporary with SET GLOBAL log_bin_trust_function_creators = 1;  then switch off again.

rr