Re: Issue authenticating as mysql in 10.5 on Ubuntu 20.04

On Monday 11 January 2021 at 18:53:33, Alexander Nolting wrote:

> I did a fresh 20.04 and MariaDB 10.5.8 install and now I'm having a
> question related to the new authentication concept starting from 10.4.
>
> As stated at Authentication from MariaDB 10.4 and Authentication in MariaDB
> 10.4 — Understanding the Changes

Please can you provide a link to that documentation?

> there are two administrative accounts created: root and mysql.

I don't use Ubuntu, but I do use Debian and Devuan, and on both of those I get
a 'root' user but I do not get a 'mysql' user.

> Logging as normal user as root into mariadb using unix_sockets is no
> problem

> Doing the same with as mysql
> testusr@host:~$ sudo mariadb -u mysql
>
> ERROR 1698 (28000): Access denied for user 'mysql'@'localhost'.

1. What do you get from:

sudo mariadb -u root -e "select unique User from user"

	?

That will show you what username have been set up for you.

2. Note that in the first case "sudo ... -u root" you *are* the root user at
the same time as you are trying to connect as the root user.

In the second case "sudo ... -u mysql" you are the root user but you are
trying to connect as the mysql user - I think this may break the security
model.  Does "sudo -u mysql mariadb -u mysql" do anything different?

Antony.

--
You can spend the whole of your life trying to be popular,
but at the end of the day the size of the crowd at your funeral

 - Frank Skinner

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.