Re: Building mariadb without PCRE?

On 4/20/21, 05:43, "Sergei Golubchik" <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    On Apr 19, Chris Ross (cross2) wrote:
    > Good day.  We have been using MariaDB in our product for a while, and
    > are upgrading to 10.5.8 at the moment.  I’ve just noticed that it’s no
    > longer using the PCRE on our system, it’s grabbing its own from
    > outside since the upgrade to PCRE2.

    There are two options. Either it can link dynamically with a system
    libpcre2-8.so or statically with pcre2 compiled from source, that was
    downloaded by cmake during the build.

Yup.  I see that.  However we run on an embedded Linux, and our platform
team won't want to add a new library for just one application.  In the
short term, I'll need to build it just for MariaDB myself.  But,
for security and data integrity reasons we can't pull it from the
internet at build time.  Can the MariaDB pcre2 build process be given
an alternate URL or file path from which to retrieve the pcre2 source
tarball?

    > We’re not using PCRE extensions at all in our applications, and I’d
    > rather not pull in another extraneous library.  We are a largely
    > embedded product, and adding libraries is a technical and bureaucratic
    > effort.  Can I just build mariadb without PCRE support at all, using
    > the traditional extended POSIX regexps instead?  I don’t see a way to
    > do this in the cmake files/parameters.

    No, it's not possible. It shouldn't be difficult to implement it,
    but at the moment it's not supported.

I saw this upon looking, thank you for clarifying.

        - Chris