Re: dist-upgrade for minor version upgrade

Am 10.07.21 um 16:58 schrieb William Edwards:
Hi,

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/upgrading-from-mariadb-104-to-mariadb-105/ (and all other minor upgrade guides) contain these steps:

2. Stop MariaDB.
3. Uninstall the old version of MariaDB:
   On Debian, Ubuntu, and other similar Linux distributions, execute the following:
    sudo apt-get remove mariadb-server
4. Install the new version of MariaDB.

I'm thinking to myself: doesn't it make more sense to instruct readers to 'dist-upgrade' on Ubuntu and Debian (which works because of the 'Replaces' in newer packages)? That would merge steps 3 and 4 (and maybe step 2 as well, because of stop_server() in preinst) into one command that could be easier to use for novice users.

Sorry if I missed a detail that dist-upgrade does not take care of

why keep it simple? :-)

our MariaDB instances date back to 2002 aka MySQL3 and the datadir went from Windows to MacOSX and later to Linux.........

frankly my self built packages don't stop services at upgrades which was for most software the reason to blacklist the distribution packages and replace them

30 seconds for a dist-upgrade on a VM, reboot, mysql_upgrade, done