Failing process:
Install mariadb from ppa using apt (happens through salt, fwiw)
Download last night's backup from a 10.6.4 server, which is a replica from
a galera cluster.
run the script attached restore_mariabackup.sh

Once this is done the database itself works, for our application, but any
client trying to access anything that requires mysql.proc gets an error
similar to:

*Sep 30 19:29:07 devmaria /etc/mysql/debian-start[24656]: error    :
CorruptSep 30 19:29:07 devmaria /etc/mysql/debian-start[24656]:
sys.x$schema_table_statistics*

*Sep 30 19:29:07 devmaria /etc/mysql/debian-start[24656]: Error    : Cannot
load from mysql.proc. The table is probably corrupted *

I just built two new servers, one that builds mariadb and then overwrites
the data from a backup and one that just installs mariadb.  The two
different files base_install.proc.sql and backupedup.proc.sql.  The error
output from sudo mysql_upgrade on the server that received the backup is in
mysql_upgrade.out

There are more differences in the proc table if i dump the data as well,
but i think much of it is driven by the utf8_mb4 rather than 3.

Tried to keep this sucient and use attachments.  This process has worked
for me for until i upgraded to 10.6.4.  Please ask anything you need. I
think i've been using this similar process to build dev machines since
about 10.4

Thanks
Jeff