A general question about performance of update command

Hi there,

I'm new to MariaDB and I'm running tests on the update command.  Server version 10.5.11.

I'm finding that updates to a table with engine=columnstore are far slower than to a table with default engine=innodb.  Obviously, there is no primary key in a table with engine=columnstore, whereas the innodb table does have a primary key.

In my tests, for engine=columnstore, 10000 rows took 1995 seconds to be updated, but for engine=innodb, 10000 rows took only 7 seconds to transfer.  The difference suggests columnstore takes about 285X longer than innodb.

Is this to be expected?  I don't need a lengthy answer, btw, just general guidance.
Thanks very much,
Rob