Clarification on Memory utilization of Mariadb

Hi Team,

Need clarification on Memory utilization of Mariadb.

I have a java application with MariaDB that runs on the same Rhel 7 server
with physical memory(RAM) allocated as 12GB where I would see the normal
utilization at the start as below.

*sys> free -h*

*              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available*

*Mem:            11G        7.8G        1.6G        9.0M        2.2G
3.5G*

*Swap:            0B          0B          0B*

Over a period of time say >6month, I could see the RAM utilization is
almost full, and available space is very less but still, the application
continues to work fine without any issues.

*sys> free -h*

*              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available*

*Mem:            11G         11G        134M         17M        411M
240M*

*Swap:            0B          0B          0B*

I don't see any OOM issue or high usage of RSS at the java application
level but I could see MariaDB occupies huge memory.... apart from that
overall application runs fine.

To ensure this we observed memory utilization at the large-scale
application servers where we deployed MariaDB and Java applications into
different servers with 128GB each and could observe that the system with
MariaDB uses full RAM size whereas the Java application consumption looks
stable.

*Server with Java application*

sys> free

              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available

Mem:         128755      125171         606         118        2977
2694

Swap:         65535        9746       55789

*Server with MariaDB*

sys> free

              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available

Mem:         128755      125171         606         118        2977
2694

Swap:         65535        9746       55789

*MariaDb conf:*

innodb_buffer_pool_size=102G
innodb_buffer_pool_instances=8
innodb_io_capacity=3000
innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
innodb_log_file_size=2047MB
innodb_log_files_in_group=2

Is this expected that MariaDB consumes overall memory and manages within
RAM size.... regardless of buffer size configured?

Do we need to optimize any configuration to control the MariaDB consumption
apart from buffer pool size?

Thanks and Regards,

Ragul