Re: Maria-db refuses to start

Op 12-10-2022 om 16:48 schreef Sergei Golubchik:
Hi, Jogchum,

normally the correct fix for that would be to install 10.5.8, start the
server, shut it down, then upgrade.

Searching that message, I saw a post on

Like me, he had a non-default location for the databases configured in
/etc/my.cnf.

The solution that worked for him was to change that to another location
in my.cnf, starting the database (which now succeeded), and copy the
existing databases to that new location.
That's not how I read it at all.
It seems to be about innodb_log_files_in_group option.
Are you sure the url is correct?

No, sorry, it's not. The advice given there, to rename the log files, did not work for me.

Funny thing, I can't find the posting any more which *did* the trick with editing my.cnf  etc, I described above.....

2022-10-02 21:27:17 0 [Warning] Can't create test file /home/jogchum/mysql_recover/linux-mkay.lower-test
2022-10-02 21:27:17 0 [ERROR] Aborting

Anyone an idea why /home/jogchum/mysql_recover/linux-mkay.lower-test
can't be created and how to solve that?
permission problem, perhaps?
All files and dir's under /home/jogchum/mysql_recover have mysql:mysql as owner:group
it's not particularly important, as it's only a warning, and not a
reason for the server failing to start.

I get that, but then what is it that mariadb won't start in the new environment....

Thanks for your reply!

regards, Jogchum

Regards,
Sergei