Re: Maria-db refuses to start

Op 13-10-2022 om 14:34 schreef Reindl Harald:

Am 13.10.22 um 14:16 schrieb Jogchum Reitsma:
Op 13-10-2022 om 01:46 schreef Daniel Black:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 12:27 AM Jogchum Reitsma
<jogchum.reitsma@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Anyone an idea why /home/jogchum/mysql_recover/linux-mkay.lower-test
can't be created and how to solve that?
In systemd ProtectHome=read-only is the default.

systemctl edit mariadb.service and add:
[Service]
ProtectHome=false

When I read /usr/lib/systemd/system/mariadb.service it contains

# Prevent accessing /home, /root and /run/user
ProtectHome=true

I know hardly anything about systemd, so not user waht I should do here?
in the open "/etc/systemd/system/mariadb.service.d/override.conf" add what was told above

[Service]
ProtectHome=false
OK,thanks, I 'll give it a try

and "Prevent accessing /home, /root and /run/user" as comment in system services should tell you something

frankly why don#t you move the datadir out of your suerhome and change the path to the datadir in the config?
25 years ago I decided that the data is only useful to me, so why place it anywhere else than in my home directory? After all, that's where all my personal files reside, so why treat this data otherwise?

There I have plenty of room in a raid6 configuration, where the default location is much smaller, and populated by the infamous (well, with me at least) btrfs filesystem.

If I were convinced relocation would solve the problem, I could do that, but I have not seen that in the discussion so forth.

Anyway, thanks for thinking with me - I may not agree with you in everything, but be sure I appreciate your replies!

regards, Jogchum