MariaDB Online-DDL

Hello All,

I'm back working with MariaDB again after a break of some years. While InnoDB Online-DDL had appeared when I was working with it, it was still sometimes a challenge to manage schema changes for very large tables.

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/innodb-online-ddl-overview/

Can anyone summarize how InnoDB stacks up for Online-DDL now?

Is it comparable to MSSQL (which I found to be pretty good for tables in the many tens of GB)?

Are workarounds like pt-online-schema-change and blue/green deployments still required? Are there any specific areas to watch out for?

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers,

Rhys

Follow ups