Re: Innodb_buffer_pool_read_requests is zero

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried to recreate this several times in a virtual environment with Bullseye, but have been unable to.

When I upgrade I always save off the data and remove the old apps first (in this case dpkg -P <package>). When I did it this time I had forgotten to restore /var/log/mysql--where I keep all my binary, relay, and error logs--before restarting so I got the "Could not initialize master info structure ..." error. Had to stop it and after restoring the data and doing some tweaks was able to get the slave going again at the right spot. It wasn't until awhile after that that I noticed Innodb_buffer_pool_read_requests wasn't populating.

Again, I tried that same process in a virtual machine and Innodb_buffer_pool_read_requests always populates fine, I don't know what I did differently last night.

In the meantime, that one machine continues to refuse to populate it, though I do see it populating in INNODB_METRICS:

MariaDB [(none)]> select * from information_schema.INNODB_METRICS where name = 'buffer_pool_read_requests' \G
           NAME: buffer_pool_read_requests
      SUBSYSTEM: buffer
          COUNT: 360830807
      MAX_COUNT: 360830807
      MIN_COUNT: NULL
      AVG_COUNT: 57936.9
    COUNT_RESET: 360830807
MAX_COUNT_RESET: 360830807
MIN_COUNT_RESET: NULL
AVG_COUNT_RESET: NULL
   TIME_ENABLED: 2023-05-12 09:38:37
  TIME_DISABLED: NULL
   TIME_ELAPSED: 6228
     TIME_RESET: NULL
        ENABLED: 1
           TYPE: status_counter
COMMENT: Number of logical read requests (innodb_buffer_pool_read_requests)
1 row in set (0.000 sec)

MariaDB [(none)]> show global status like 'innodb_buffer_pool_read_requests';
| Variable_name                    | Value |
| Innodb_buffer_pool_read_requests | 0     |
1 row in set (0.000 sec)

I've tweaked my scripts that need that value to get it from INNODB_METRICS, instead. Other than INNODB_METRICS possibly going away in a future release, are there any long-term negatives that I might encounter with this setup? I.E., any other potential problems I might encounter relating to the Innodb_buffer_pool_read_requests status variable being zero?