maria-docs team mailing list archive

Re: Parent Categories

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 15:33:53 -0500
Shaun McCance <shaunm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Shaun> How are parent categories set for articles in the KB? For
Shaun> example, this page has two parents:
Shaun>
Shaun> http://kb.askmonty.org/en/rename-table
Shaun>
Shaun> But I don't see on the edit page how those parents are set. I
Shaun> think the CREATE TABLE page ought to be under "Table commands"
Shaun> as well as CREATE, but I don't know how to do that.
Shaun>
Shaun> Also, when a page has multiple parents, the bread crumbs at the
Shaun> top only reflect one parent. Is there a primary parent? Why not
Shaun> show them for each parent? The bread crumbs are much more
Shaun> visible than the small Parents links in the sidebar. (The
Shaun> downside is that you have to deal with multiple parents of all
Shaun> ancestors, which can lead to an explosion of links if you're not
Shaun> careful with categorization.)

There is a primary parent and the primary parents are what is used to
build the bread crumbs. The only way to change the primary parent is
through the back end, I don't know if there are any plans to expose
this functionality.

There is some functionality to add parents to a page or category, but
it might be restricted to admins (I see an "Edit Parents" link in the
sidebar, but I don't know if you do). Bryan will know who can see it. We
don't want to make it too easy to add (and delete parents), since that
could lead to mass confusion, but we do want to allow multiple parents
to aid in discoverability.

The "Parents" section in the sidebar is an attempt to show when a
category or article has multiple parents without making things overly
complicated. You're right that it isn't as visible as the bread crumbs,
but like you say, we don't want to end up with an explosion of links.

As to your point about where CREATE TABLE should appear, its primary
parent is the "Data Definition" category because that is the category
it appears under in the mysql client's online help (e.g. "help Data
Definition").

That's not to say there should even be a "Data Definition" category
simply because the online help has it, just that that is why that
category exists, and why CREATE TABLE is under it.

BTW: I went ahead and added CREATE TABLE to
http://kb.askmonty.org/en/table-commands I'm not sold on adding the
CREATE category though, because it is about more than creating tables
(e.g. "CREATE DATABASE", "CREATE TRIGGER", and etc...).

Thanks!

--
Daniel Bartholomew
MariaDB - http://mariadb.org