maria-docs team mailing list archive

Re: Random Query Generator docs might disappear soon

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:27:04 +0400
Elena Stepanova <elenst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Elena> Hi Daniel,
Elena>
Elena> On 16.07.2012 17:11, Daniel Bartholomew wrote:
Elena> >
Elena> > Elena: Beyond what is mentioned on this page:
Elena> > http://kb.askmonty.org/en/rqg-extensions-for-mariadb-features/ ,
Elena> > have you or Philip made modifications to the RQG scripts which
Elena> > would require changes to the documentation as it exists on
Elena> > MySQL Forge?
Elena>
Elena> Yes, there is quite a lot of stuff in RQG developed by Philip or
Elena> somebody else which was not documented on Forge last time I
Elena> checked. I've made a few more modifications too, in addition to
Elena> those described in the KB (only documented those which were more
Elena> or less final). So if we have our version of documentation, it
Elena> would be good to have access so I could keep adding to it when I
Elena> encounter undocumented chunks; or I could send you my findings
Elena> and you would publish them, whichever you prefer.

My plan is to create a Random Query Generator category and to put the
docs for the RQG under there. The URI will be:

http://kb.askmonty.org/en/random-query-generator

The above doesn't exist right now, but when it does, and the initial
documentation is in place, you will be able to update the docs
whenever you make changes to the various RQG scripts.

Elena> But the problem with my modifications is that they currently
Elena> live in my work tree, I'm still not sure what is the right way
Elena> to handle it. I see that Oracle guys do merges into the main RQG
Elena> tree (not Philip), so I guess they kind of "own" it, and I don't
Elena> know whether I should merge my changes, especially
Elena> MariaDB-specific parts, into the same tree, or request them to
Elena> decide whether they want them, or to keep a separate MariaDB
Elena> tree. So far I've just been merging the main tree into mine, to
Elena> avoid diversion, but not the other way round.
Elena>
Elena> Any opinions would be appreciated.

If the Oracle people are willing to merge in your changes and additions
(including the MariaDB-specific parts) then it would be simpler to just
use their tree, but if they're unwilling and/or slow to merge in your
changes then we should probably have our own tree and merge in their
changes periodically.

What about adding the RQG to the mariadb-tools project? Or is it a
big/separate enough project that it needs its own launchpad project and
tree?

Thanks.

--
Daniel Bartholomew
  Google+ - http://gplus.to/dbart

MariaDB: An Enhanced Drop-in Replacement for MySQL
        Website - http://mariadb.org
        Twitter - http://twitter.com/mariadb
        Google+ - http://gplus.to/mariadb
       Facebook - http://fb.com/MariaDB.dbms