maria-docs team mailing list archive

Re: MariaDB 5.5.32 Release Prep

Hi, Daniel!

On Jul 18, Daniel Bartholomew wrote:
> > On Jul 17, Daniel Bartholomew wrote:
> > >
> > > I've begun the prep work for the MariaDB 5.5.32 release. The
> > > packages are uploaded and the mirrors should start picking them up
> > > soon.
> > >
> > > The draft changelog and release notes are here:
> > >
> > > - https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-5532-changelog/
> >
> > This looks wrong. Surely, there are many more changesets under the
> > "mysql-5.5.32 merge" than just "BLACKHOLE BINARY LOG WITH ROW".
> >

> There are. The modified version of the --kb-short command I use to
> generate the changelogs automatically strips out the upstream
> revisions from Oracle.
>
> Including them can really balloon the size of the changelogs. So
> instead of including them I just link to the MySQL changelogs in the
> release notes.
>
> In this instance the script left the blackhole commit in there and
> stripped all the others that were part of that merge.
>
> I can either remove the blackhole merge from the changelog or add in
> the rest of the Oracle merges. Which would you prefer?

I'd prefer to keep them all.

Almost nobody reads the changelog anyway. But who does, I believe,
expects to see all the changes on one page.

MySQL changelog link is good - but it's more like our relnotes page, a
simplified user-level description of whatever was done in the release.

While our changelog is really technical, everything that was committed,
log. It's not a replacement of a relnotes, it has value on itself. But
then, it should not be filtered, it should indeed include everything
that was committed.

Regards,
Sergei