marionnet-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Installazione di Ubuntu per Morena

Vincenzo, I'm Cc'ing our development list and switching to English, so
that everybody understands and this thing remains archived.

root@user-desktop:~/tmp/vde_svn# cd ~/tmp
root@user-desktop:~/tmp# bzr get --verbose lp:ocamlbricks/0.90.x ocamlbricks
You have not informed bzr of your Launchpad ID, and you must do this to
write to Launchpad or access private data.  See "bzr help launchpad-login".
Branched 230 revision(s).
Ok till here.  The login issue is just a warning, everything works even
without a launchpad account; just tested on my machine with a new user
account. "Branched 230 revisions" means that the checkout actually took
place.

root@user-desktop:~/tmp# cd ~/tmp/ocamlbricks
root@user-desktop:~/tmp/ocamlbricks# make && make install
Just for debugging: PP_OPTION is "camlp4of"
Building meta.ml...
Success.
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/include_type_definitions_p4.ml"...
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/include_type_definitions_p4.mli"...
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/include_as_string_p4.ml"...
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/include_as_string_p4.mli"...
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/where_p4.ml"...
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/where_p4.mli"...
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/option_extract_p4.ml"...
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/option_extract_p4.mli"...
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/common_tools_for_preprocessors.ml"...
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/raise_p4.ml"...
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/raise_p4.mli"...
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/log_module_loading_p4.ml"...
Manually pre-copying "CAMLP4/log_module_loading_p4.mli"...
Manually pre-building "include_type_definitions_p4.cmi"...
make[1]: ingresso nella directory «/root/tmp/ocamlbricks»
ocamlc -c -I +camlp4 -pp camlp4of -o _build/include_type_definitions_p4.cmi
CAMLP4/include_type_definitions_p4.mli
sh: camlp4of: not found

Aha.  That's the problem: you don't have camlp4of, which is part of a
preprocessor for OCaml we need at compile time.

The thing is packaged within camlp4-extra, which you should have
installed if you have followed our instructions on
http://www.marionnet.org/wiki/doku.php?id=howto:howto_for_debian-like_distributions
; anyway, notice that we do *not* support OCaml 3.12.x yet; if Ubuntu
packages 3.11.x then you just need to install camlp4-extra:

sudo apt-get install camlp4-extra

I've just spoken with Jean-Vincent, the other co-author who (among many
other things) wrote the marionnet_from_scratch script:
http://www.marionnet.org/wiki/doku.php?id=documentation:marionnet_from_scratch
; he just told me somthing I didn't know: some OCaml version renamed an
utility we need; here's the compatibility fix used in the script:

# (from the OCaml sources directory)
./configure -prefix $OCAML_PREFIX -no-curses -no-tk &&
  make world.opt &&
  make install &&
  make -C tools/ objinfo &&
  [[ -e $OCAML_PREFIX/bin/ocamlobjinfo ]] || {
    cp tools/objinfo $OCAML_PREFIX/bin/ &&
    ln -s objinfo $OCAML_PREFIX/bin/ocamlobjinfo
    }
  } || return 1
# end

In English, this means that if you have an executable called "objinfo"
in your executable path (I suppose /usr/local/bin), then you should add
a symlink to it in the same directory called ocamlobjinfo.  Yes, this
sucks.  And the thing must absolutely be documented.  I consider this a bug.

Can you please test, Vincenzo?  I want to keep manual compilation
working and usable.

Thanks,

- --
Luca Saiu